Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A different kind of post

I thought for today I would do a different kind of post. Less of the kids, more of adult stuff.  First of all I actually finished a book for the first time in a very long time. I read "The Ministry of Motherhood," this summer and loved it!
I found it extremely interesting, inspiring, and an overall easy read. I would highly recommend it to any mother looking for encouragement. Some of my favorite quotes from the book..

"We must be willing to pay the cost of discipleship, determined to lay up our treasures in heaven. When we do this, our children will have the freedom and peace to know that God is not measuring them by how much money they make, what kind of car they drive, or how big a house they are able to buy. By God's standards, our children will will be successful in life if they are willing to love and follow Christ wherever they are asked to go. "

"A child who does not have the opportunity to marvel at the bigness of God, the wonders of his creation, and the reality of his supernatural work will tend to measure the questions about "who God is" according to his or her finite, limited perspective."  Sally Clarkson. From the chapters regarding the gift of inspiration. 

I was so feeling so good that I finished a book I picked up a new one this weekend. "Give them Grace," by Elyse Fitzpatrick. 

I've only read one chapter but I can already tell it is already going to pick my brain and shatter some my previous perceptions about parenting.  Looking forward to it!

On another note. Are you ready for fall television? Ever since Master Chef's season ended I've been over summer television. I don't have a whole lot of time to watch tv but it's nice to sit down and relax for a bit. We really don't have a whole lot of regular shows we watch anymore. I have a feeling The Office will not be as good this year after the departure of Steve Carrell. But, I do love Parks and Recreation. It's so funny, in that quirky way. For new shows I think I'll tune in to see the premiere of Once Upon a Time.  Who doesn't love fairy tales? Especially for adults.  I have to admit the show, "Hart of Dixie," looked cheesy at first to me. But, since I was a huge O.C. fan maybe I'll give it a shot. Plus it has Jason Street from Friday Night Lights! Which by the way, if you haven't watched the complete series of Friday Night Lights you should skip all of the new fall shows and go straight to netflix and watch seasons 1-4. Then go to Hulu to see the final season 5.  It's one of the best shows ever. Seriously. Alright, if you were bored with my book and show recommendations check back tomorrow for cute pictures of super cute kids. :)  

No comments: