Tuesday, May 4, 2010

How to make a killer pizza

Emerson is getting molars and we've had a rough couple nights of sleep or lack there of. So instead of a baby update filled with whining I thought I would share some pizza secrets. I'm by no means a great cook. But, I do love food. Healthy, easy, and flavorful food. One of my favorite things to make is homemade pizza. So much so that we rarely order pizza take-out since mine tastes so much better! Not bragging, it's just the truth. Last night I added a few new ingredients in to my concoction and I must say it was awesome. First thing is first though I start out with a store bought crust. One that is already baked is easier in my opinion and we don't have a rolling pin so it works out. Next, is the sauce. Pasta sauce is so much better than the "pizza sauce." It's filled with herbs and flavor that add so much to the pizza. For an alternative to red sauce sometimes I use pesto, or Neufeutchel cheese for a white pizza. Next is the cheese. I don't really think this one out too much. Basically whatever I have in the fridge. So here is what I made last night. Started off with pizza crust.

  • Brushed with some olive oil
  • I used some Muir Glen tomato and basil pasta sauce
  • Next I chopped up some fresh spring onions finally and added them to the sauce.
  • I added a little bit of Mexican cheese. Sounds weird with my other toppings but it worked.
  • Next I chopped up some organic mushrooms, threw them on.
  • I added some fresh spinach, that I happened to have on hand. I usually use frozen spinach that works perfectly too.
  • I then added some feta cheese, and Parmesan.
  • I walked out to my new herb garden and picked some fresh basil, and something else I'm not sure what it was but it was unusually fragrant. Perhaps sage? One thing is for sure I should have had labels.
  • I then added just a touch of dry parsley. If you don't have fresh herbs lots of dried herbs work too. Herbs are the key to killer pizza.
  • I baked it in the oven at 425 F on a pizza stone for 7-9 minutes. This is based off my particular crust. You can do more or less depending on your preference. Mark likes crispy pizza so I do a little extra watching carefully not to burn.
So voila! A homemade pizza that is awesome. I had never used spring onions before but I must say it added a wonderful flavor to the pizza. Here are some combinations I frequent

Mexican pizza
-Refried black beans
-Spices (cumin, chili powder)
-Mexican cheese
- Rotel
-Black Olives
- Hot sauce sprinkled
- Sour Cream to garnish

Pesto pizza
- Pesto as sauce
- Mozzarella/Parm cheese
-Roasted Red peppers
-Artichoke hearts
-Frozen or fresh spinach
-A few slices of tomato
- Herbs ( Basil, Oregano)

The great thing is you can change up any ingredient. I make it up as I go and it's always good. Some fun ingredients include roasted vegetables, broccoli, pineapple, chicken, and anything in your imagination! So go make some pizza tonight!

No comments: