Monday, March 23, 2009

Before I was a Mom....

I would have never thought I would have my baby sleeping in my bed.  But as I have come to find out many things change once your little one arrives. At first it started out unintentional with me picking up Emerson to feed her and we would both fall asleep. Then over a couple days I found it easier for her to be with me from the beginning. We both got more sleep, and it was easy to feed her. After more exploration I found that tons of parents "co-sleep" with their kids. Some people might stick up their nose at the idea but all I know is Emerson never cries at night and I feel rested in the morning. I don't have any fear of me rolling over her. It is amazing the awareness you have of where your baby is. My body literally doesn't move all night. I stay on my side facing her and it makes for a quick feeding session. She falls asleep during and I just roll her back to her back. So easy! So what I say is do what works for you. I found this article listing the benefits of co-sleeping. 



Popular media has tried to discourage parents from sharing sleep with their babies, calling this worldwide practice unsafe. Medical science, however, doesn’t back this conclusion. In fact, research shows that co-sleeping is actually safer than sleeping alone. Here is what science says about sleeping with your baby:
Sleep more peacefully
Research shows that co-sleeping infants virtually never startle during sleep and rarely cry during the night, compared to solo sleepers who startle repeatedly throughout the night and spend 4 times the number of minutes crying 1. Startling and crying releases adrenaline, which increases heart rate and blood pressure, interferes with restful sleep and leads to long term sleep anxiety.

Stable physiology
Studies show that infants who sleep near to parents have more stable temperatures 2, regular heart rhythms, and fewer long pauses in breathing compared to babies who sleep alone 3. This means baby sleeps physiologically safer.

Decreases risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
Worldwide research shows that the SIDS rate is lowest (and even unheard of) in countries where co-sleeping is the norm, rather than the exception 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. Babies who sleep either in or next to their parents’ bed have a fourfold decrease in the chance of SIDS 10. Co-sleeping babies actually spend more time sleeping on their back or side 1 which decreases the risk of SIDS. Further research shows that the carbon dioxide exhaled by a parent actually works to stimulate baby’s breathing 11.

Long term emotional health
Co-sleeping babies grow up with a higher self-esteem, less anxiety, become independent sooner, are better behaved in school 12, and are more comfortable with affection 13. They also have less psychiatric problems 14.

Safer than crib sleeping
The Consumer Product Safety Commission published data that described infant fatalities in adult beds. These same data, however, showed more than 3 times as many crib related infant fatalities compared to adult bed accidents 15. Another recent large study concluded that bed sharing did NOT increase the risk of SIDS, unless the mom was a smoker or abused alcohol 16.

www.AskDrSears.com

1 comment:

Nichole said...

We started co-sleeping the exact same way, on accident from the middle of the night feeding - and we still co-sleep now! A lot of people like to give you their two cents about it, but honestly, we love it, and I we have no plans to move him out of our bed!