Monday, October 1, 2012

Review: Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte

I love fall. I really love pumpkin. Pumpkin spice lattes from Starbucks are heavenly. But, unfortunately pricey and not so healthy. When I saw a pumpkin spice lattte on pinterest I knew I had to try it.

This is the latte from the Averie Cooks Blog who came up with the recipe.  It has pretty simple ingredients. Nothing pricey. I bought a huge can of pumpkin for $2 at Walmart and I've been using it all week long. I opted out of the milk and got heavy cream instead. Just in case it was decadent enough. My creamy mixture didn't end up staying on top like the picture but it was still delicious.  Here is the recipe. Try it and enjoy not spending $ at Starbucks. 


Pumpkin Spice Latte (Vegan, Gluten Free)
1. Make coffee (a pot, a cup, in whatever fashion and however you prefer making your coffee.   The stronger the better)
2. Make Pumpkin Milk
1 c milk (I used almond milk but use any kind you want from half and half to rice milk)
1/4 heaping cup pumpkin puree (more if you really love pumpkin)
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice blend, or to taste
1 tsp cinnamon, or to taste
1 tsp vanilla extract
sweetener of choice, to taste (I suggest 2 tbsp agave or 2 tbsp brown sugar or a pinch of stevia to taste; or try honey, maple syrup, etc. to taste)
Optional: pinch of ground nutmeg, ginger, garam masala, cardamom, or other warming spices to taste
Directions: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk well by hand or blend all ingredients using a Vita or blender
Optional: Warm the finished pumpkin milk mixture in the microwave or on the stovetop (I do a quick nuke of about 1 minute)
3. Pour 1 c of brewed coffee into a mug and pour half the pumpkin milk mixture over the top of the coffee and enjoy.  (Optional: Finish by garnishing with real whipped cream/whipped topping such asCoolWhip or TruWhip; and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice/cinnamon on top)
The other half of the pumpkin milk mixture is for the refill you know you will want.  If you truly don’t want a refill, refrigerate it for up to a few days and use for your next latte, in a smoothie, or drink it as is. As long as you’re dirtying dishes, I always make a little extra for refills or for later.
Notes:
The spices will not “blend” or entirely dissolve.  This is to be expected and normal.  If this bothers you, this may not the recipe for you and you may want to experiment with other recipes or techniques.
All spices and seasonings are to taste; in this case, mine.  If you want to reduce the spices (or increase them), obviously adjust everything according to your own taste preferences.  Some people may find the amounts I used a bit strong, but I like robust flavors.


No comments: